It was only a month ago when we saw the latest CyanogenMod (CM) major update. For those of you who are not familiar with CM they are by far the most downloaded open-source ROM available on the market. For a detailed description you can read our Welcome to CyanogenMod blog.
So last month we saw the release of CM 11 M7 as a Snapshot. Again, those of you who are new to CM a ‘Snapshot’ is a nearly-stable release. This type of release is considered safe-to-use by CM and believed to contain all features and all bugs worked through. It is worth remembering being a Snapshot this does mean it is possible some unknown bugs may still exist although these will be minor. Now already we are seeing the next major release available today. CM 11 M8 was released this morning and offers Android 4.4.4. As the release has only just been made public the devices supported are rather limited although the variance will grow quite quickly knowing CM.
So what’s new?
The most major obvious difference will be the inclusion of the ‘Heads Up’ notification tool which will provide users with a preview of all incoming messages emails and notifications without having to close the currently viewed application. In addition the settings will be reorganized and multiple bug fixes will be included.
The complete change log provided by CM includes
- Common: Android 4.4.4 (Google)
- New Devices: Sony Xperia Z2 (sirius); Xiaomi Mi2 (aries); Oppo Find 7a/s (find7); OnePlus One (bacon)
- Common: Fix VPN issues related to 4.4.3 merge
- Common: Enable ‘Heads Up’ notification mode (Settings > Notifications)
- Settings: ‘Interface’ replaced by ‘Status Bar’, ‘Notification Drawer’, and ‘Gestures’
- Settings: Moved ‘Expanded Desktop’ to ‘Display’
- Settings: Moved all lock screen related items to ‘Lock Screen’ and removed duplicates from ‘Security’
- Settings: Moved ‘Navigation Bar’ layout control to ‘Buttons’
- Trebuchet: Custom Homescreen grid size
- Trebuchet: Add Protected Apps feature
- Trebuchet: Add Search Panel (Google Now) option
- WhisperPush: No longer ignores ‘Blacklist’
- Futex: Protect against Towelroot
- Various small bugfixes, global and device-specific
So if you are interesting in checking-out M8 then you first need to check your device capability by heading over to the download page. Remember this will be updated routinely over the next few days so if you are not on the list now then keep checking.