Glenn Greenwald has disclosed that NSA and FBI spied on innocent, law-abiding Muslim citizens of the US after 9/11. The Muslims included lawyers, academics, civil rights activists, and a political candidates and these agencies probably didn’t even need any warrant to mass spy on American Muslims. These were law-abiding US citizens which were spied by these two agencies because of their ethnic background.
Glenn has identified top five high profiled US-Muslims which were on NSA/FBI targets including:
• Faisal Gill, a longtime Republican Party operative and one-time candidate for public office who held a top-secret security clearance and served in the Department of Homeland Security under President George W. Bush;
• Asim Ghafoor, a prominent attorney who has represented clients in terrorism-related cases;
• Hooshang Amirahmadi, an Iranian-American professor of international relations at Rutgers University;
• Agha Saeed, a former political science professor at California State University who champions Muslim civil liberties and Palestinian rights;
• Nihad Awad, the executive director of the Council on American-Islamic Relations (CAIR), the largest Muslim civil rights organization in the country.
The agencies spied on these, and many more US-Muslims, under FISA (Foreign Intelligence Surveillance Act). The government renews the authorization every 90 days and ironically despite his ‘public’ stand on ‘controlling’ NSA, Obama administration just renewed the authorization for another 90 days.
The Intercept quotes Gill, “I just don’t know why. I’ve done everything in my life to be patriotic. I served in the Navy, served in the government, was active in my community—I’ve done everything that a good citizen, in my opinion, should do.”